Wacky Packages Wacky Ads - 1969
- The Wacky Ads were Topps' second experiment with product parody. They came out in 1969, a year after the die-cuts.
- Ad Packs contain five stickers and a piece of gum.
- sticker copyright:
- The Ads are punch-outs like the die-cuts, however they have a larger border with artwork depicted also on the border.
- Like the die-cuts, the Ads are numbered, numbers are from 1 to 36, however numbers are on the front.
- As opposed to the die-cuts, there were no substitutions in the Wacky Ad series, however one card was pulled early on, the notoriously hard to find number 25, Good and Empty.
- Those collecting after Good and Empty was pulled would never be able to complete a set as there was no other #25 used to replace it.
- Good and Empty exists only as a long perf, for all other titles there exist both perf types.
- Good and Empty in NM condition has been going for between $500 and $1500 on eBay.
- 24 of the Wackys from the die-cut series were reproduced in this series (four very small images were squeezed onto each of six Ads).
- As opposed to the die-cuts which were painted by Norm Saunders, the Ads were painted by Tom Sutton (who, incidentally, passed away in 2002).
- Read a letter written by Bhob Stewart to Jay Lynch requesting him to draw up some gags for this series.
- When Saunders came back to working on Wackys in 1973 he reproduced most of the Ads series in his own style, this became the 1973 2nd series.
- Five titles were not reproduced in the 1973 2nd series. One title, Garbage Baby Food, was renamed Gurgle in the 2nd series.
Many thanks go to Andy Herrmann for suplying some of the scans.
Melty Way #1
Plastered Peanuts #2
Minute Mud #3
Vile Soap #5
Blunder Bread #7
Metrekill Diet Drink #8
Ultra Blight #9
Boo-Hoo Drink #10
Hurts Tomatoes #11
Guerilla Milk #12
Chicken Fat #13
Garbage Baby Food #14
Blecch Shampoo #15
Tied / Cover Ghoul / Quaker Oats / Band-Ache #16
Duzn't / Horrid / Pure Hex / Fink #17
Schtick Blades #18
Minute Lice / Dopey / Hostage / Chock #20
Paul Maul / Spray Nit / Lavirus / Mutt's #21
Ditch Masters #22
Cap n Crud #24
Good and Empty #25
Kook Cigarettes #26
Exceedrin Tablets #27
Weakies / Crust / Gadzooka / Kook-Aid #29
Commie Cleanser #30
Botch Tape #32
All-Brain Cereal #33
Awful Bits #34
Fish-Bone Dressing #35
Skimpy / Mrs. Klean / 6-Up / Breadcrust #36