Return to the Wacky Packages homepage
Topps Wacky Packages
Lost Wackys Series 2
- In 2008 a large number of lost wacky titles turned up in the Patrick Piggot collection. Piggot had been hired to paint the bulk of a proposed 2nd series in 1992, to follow the 1991 series. Many great titles were produced but ultimately the entire series was nixed. Collectors had seen many roughs but few finished titles for this series. Therefore it was an amazing find and motivated the Lost Wacky conglomerate to put aside their differences and print an entire 2nd lost series.
- In addition collectors now had in their hands the original art for the classic Can Label series, the last Wackys ever painted by the master Norm Saunders. This was before anybody imagined Topps themselves would eventually release those titles in the Flashback Series.
- It was clear that there was nowhere near enough LW1 sets produced to meet demand, therefore a larger print run was done for LW2, somewhere around 400 sets should exist.
- Additionally, 25 sets of Red Ludlows and 25 sets of Black Ludlows were produced. These sets were numbered 1 to 25 and 1 to 40 on the back of the wax packs.
- The ludlow sets were produced at the same time as the regular sets, however a disagreement amongst the committee members resulted in an unresolveable impasse and for a long time it appeared the ludlow sets would never see the light of day. But after many years they eventually found their way to the market.
- There are 33 titles in the series, they were packaged in two packs, one blue, one red.
- The main checklist puzzle was based on Forger's. Three alternate puzzles were produced, Libber's, Dr. Peeper and Pigs.